Western family travel photograph album
Scope and Content
Family album of photographs, around half depicting a road trip to the Midwestern and Western United States, including South Dakota (the Badlands and Black Hills, Pierre, near Deadwood and Lead), Wyoming, and Colorado (Rocky Mountain National Park in Estes Park, the Continental Divide), created between 1923 - 1924. Before the photographs documenting this trip, there are several photographs of family life. The family may have lived in Massachusetts - Holliston is mentioned, as is a house at 131 Bedford St, and there are a few pictures on Cape Cod. Many of the photos are of two young children named Elinor and Alice. Other named individuals include Mrs. Whitney, Mrs. Kingsbury, Miss Bostrom, the Misses Richardson, Miss Reddy, and Uncle Duff. Some photographs have been removed from the album, leaving about half of its pages blank.
- 1923 - 1924
- George Mason University (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Public domain. There are no known restrictions.
During the early 20th century, road tripping was a hobby for upper middle class and wealthy Americans only. According to Time Magazine, "by 1920, the road trip thus had begun to take on a shape familiar to modern eyes. Above all, the automobile was assuming a dominant role in popular recreation as more and more Americans incorporated it into their visions of recreation and leisure. As costs fell and reliability increased, as the successful outings of the few began to inspire the many, and as the thrill of this new technology spread through an ever-wider range of the populace, motoring for pleasure insinuated itself as a notion in the minds of many Americans." By mid-century, with the advent of the Interstate Highway System, road tripping became a popular and accessible American pastime.
.25 Linear Feet (1 album)
Language of Materials
Family photograph album depicting a trip to the Midwestern and Western United States, 1923 - 1924.
This is a single item collection.
Purchased by Lynn Eaton from Jordan Antiques and Books in November 2019.
Processing and finding aid completed by Amanda Brent in June 2022. Elizabeth Beckman contributed to the Scope and Content note.
- Automobile travel Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Colorado Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Domestic life. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Massachusetts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs. Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Scrapbooks. Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- South Dakota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Wyoming Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to Western family travel photograph album
- Western family travel photograph album
- Amanda Brent
- June 14, 2022
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description