Prince William County Historic Newspapers Collection
Scope and Content
Several newspapers from Prince William County, VA and other Virginia areas such as the Manassas Journal, Manassas Messenger, Potomac News, the Prince William News, and the Journal Messenger. Also included are issues from the Alexandria Gazette, the Richmond News Leader, Richmond Times-Dispatch, and other news clippings. The papers in this collection date roughly from 1861 to 1992.
- Prince William County Library (Organization)
There are no access restrictions.
The copyright and related rights status of this collection have not been evaluated (See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/CNE/1.0/)
The Manassas Journal began under W.H.W. Moran & Co. in 1895. In 1945, the Manassas Messenger was created, and on November 22, 1951, the two publications merged into the Journal Messenger. The Journal Messenger existed until 1997 and leaned Democratic. The Prince William News, published under Clarence W. Wagener, was a weekly paper from 1921 to 1923. Potomac News began in 1959 in Dumfries, VA and in 1979 moved to Woodbridge, VA until it ended in 2008.
The miscellaneous series contains issues from other Virginia newspapers, such as the Richmond News Leader (circa 1896-1992), Richmond Times-Dispatch (circa 1903-1992), the Fauquier Democrat (1905-1989), and the Alexandria Gazette, (1834-1974) among others.
3 Linear Feet (9 boxes)
Language of Materials
Prince William County newspapers dating from 1851 to 1992.
- Series 1: The Manassas Journal, 1904-1951 (Oversize Box 1)
- Series 2: The Prince William News, 1921-1923 (Oversize Box 2)
- Series 3: The Manassas Messenger, 1945-1951 (Oversize Box 3)
- Series 4: The Journal Messenger, 1951-1986 (Oversize Boxes 4-7)
- Series 5: Potomac News, 1972-1988 (Oversize Box 8)
- Series 6: Miscellaneous, 1851-1992 (Oversize Box 9)
OS R 2, C 2, S 6
OS R 2, C 5, S 7
OS R 3, C 1, S 7
Donated by the Prince William Public Libraries in November 2016.
Processing completed by Brittney Falter in February 2017. EAD markup completed by Brittney Falter in February 2017. Finding aid updated by Amanda Menjivar in January 2023.
- Alexandria County (Va.) -- Newspapers. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manassas (Va.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newspapers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Prince William County (Va.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Prince William County Historic Newspapers Collection
- Prince William County Historic Newspapers Collection
- Brittney Falter
- February 3, 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English
Part of the George Mason University. Libraries. Special Collections Research Center Repository
Fenwick Library, MS2FL
4400 University Dr.
Fairfax Virginia 22030 United States